Prof. Peter Hofbauer guides EcoMotors’ continuing advancements in automotive systems and technologies. His career as an innovator and developer in the fields of advanced powertrains, combustion technologies and control systems spans four decades, and he has been awarded more than 50 patents for his inventions.
During his 20-year tenure at a major European automotive OEM, Prof. Hofbauer conceived, developed and brought into mass production the OEM’s original diesel engine; today’s evolution of that powerplant has the highest power density of any passenger car diesel engine.
He holds a Masters degree in mechanical engineering from the Technical University in Vienna, Austria and completed his Doctorate in mechanical engineering at the Technical University in Aachen, Germany.
Today, in addition to his work at EcoMotors, Prof. Hofbauer teaches Advanced Propulsion Technologies at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan.
- Nine years as head of Advanced Propulsion System Research at a major European automotive OEM, followed by nine years as head of Worldwide Powertrain Development.
- Creation and development of a pioneering diesel engine for a major European OEM
- Creation and development of the VR6 engine the world’s first 6-cylinder, narrow-V (15 degrees) engine
- Electronic controls for injection, ignition and automatic transmissions
Other activities and awards:
- Board member for R&D and Sales at Rheinmetall/Pierburg GmbH in Neuss, Germany
- Board member for R&D and Production for Viessmann Werke GmbH&Co in Allendorf, Germany
- General Director of technologies at Turbodyne Systems, Inc
- Winner of the 2007 Arch T. Colwell Merit Award for the opoc® engines outstanding contribution to advancing the technologies of self-propelled vehicles